Monday, April 25, 2011

Important Location: Sagrada Familia

Antoni Gaudi, a Catalan architect, designed and built the unfinished Sagrada Familia. The basilica, Sagrada Familia, is extremely important to the Catalan Culture. One reason being its modernistic style. The Catalans are known for their modernist style, and many people believe modernism could not have occurred anywhere else at that time. The Bouergeoise commissioned these projects to up and coming artists because of the huge economic boom. La Sagrada Familia was built during a time of continuous anarchists violence. Gaudi built the Sagrada Familia as a temple to forgive the city of its sins. Today, thousands of people visit the basilica to see modernist artwork and learn about the history of the basilica in the museum.

As I was walking through the museum, I came across a very interesting fact. I read that the tortoise was built underneath the columns, because the tortoise represents the foundation of the universe. Since my visit to Sagrada Familia, I have not forgotten that quote. I found this quote extremely interesting because Gaudi incorporated nature into every part of his work. But I've never come seen him use an animal to represent such a strength of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment