Monday, April 25, 2011

Cultural Activity: Castelles


Castelles in St. James Square

This photo was taken at the beginning of the ceremony, when each different group was introducing their team. The towers in the beginning of the ceremony were basic towers of people, usually only three people high. Before coming to Barcelona, I've never heard of the Castelle's. However, in one of my classes three castelle members came in and spoke to us and taught us the basic of the Castelle structure. After learning about the Castelle's, I became extremely fascinated. What I found most interesting was that the Castelle's are used to represent Catalan culture. The members devote hours a week to create human towers to represent their Catalan pride. Not only are parents involved, but many children, too. While I was watching the human towers being built, I became very anxious watching the small children climb to the top of the tower. It amazes me that parents allow their children to be involved in such an activity! But this demonstrates the Catalans devotion to the Catalan community.




This photo was taken towards the end of the ceremony. The castelles were building human towers 5/6 persons high! It was unbelievable to witness such an extraordinary event. The thing I found most interesting about the castelles was when the people collapsed the tower. First the person on top slid down all of the people. He/she made it look so simple! Then the next group of people slid down the others, and this continued until the tower was completely collapsed. And they did it within 30 seconds! Watching the Castelle's performance was probably the most unique thing I witnessed in Barcelona.

No comments:

Post a Comment