Monday, April 25, 2011

Important Location: Montserrat

The Montserrat Monastery is one of the most important symbols of Catalan Culture. Inside the Monastery, I found the Black Madonna, the Virgin of Montserrat, also the patroness of Catalonia. Visiting the Black Madonna was truly a spiritual experience. I thought it was amazing that years ago, people tried to move that Virgin, however she became too heavy and the Monastery was built around her. The basilica also goes back in history with Catalan culture. When Catalan was made illegal, the church in Montserrat was one of the first churches to begin supporting the Catalan Culture and keeping this culture alive.


To the right is a picture that I took from the highest point on the Montserrat mountain. Many of my friends who had already visited Montserrat told me that I had to visit Montserrat since I love hiking and nature. So I finally did. The views from the top of the mountain were absolutely spectacular. One of my friends hiked to the top of the mountain in a little under an hour. The trail was beautiful, along with the mountains. I've never seen mountains with rounded edges before, and it was so beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment