Thursday, March 17, 2011

Restaurant: Tortilla de Patatas!

Tortilla de Patata
(Served in a small restaurant in Granada, Spain)

When I first arrived in Barcelona, everyone kept telling me I needed to try the tortilla de patata. I had no idea what they were talking about, because I've never heard of it before, so I just kept blowing the idea off. However, after being here a few weeks, I learned that it's a very typical and delicious Spanish dish. At that point, I figured I needed to try one. During a visit in Granada, we went to a local restaurant, and I finally tried one, and it was delicious! I sort of had an idea as to what to expect, but it far exceeded my expectations. It was delicious, and probably one of my favorite Spanish dishes so far! This is definitely a recipe I will take home to my family and friends.

Recipe:

Ingredients:
6 peeled potatoes
1 whole yellow onion
5 large eggs
Olive Oil
Salt
Green/Red Pepper

Preparation:
Cut the potatoes in half (long ways). Then with the flat part on the cutting board, cut the potatoes into slices. Then cut the onion into small pieces. Mix the potatoes, peppers, and onions together.
Heat olive oil on a medium setting and add potatoes and onions the the oil (enough oil to nearly cover the mixture.) Then let the potatoes cook until soft. Once cooked, remove potatoes, peppers, and onions from frying pan with a spatula. Set on paper towel to remove some oil.

In large bowl, whisk 5 large eggs together, then add the potato mixture and mix together. 
Place 1 tablespoon of olive oil in frying pan and heat on medium heat. Once hot enough, add the potato and egg mixture. Cook until the bottom is slightly browned. Once browned, flip the tortilla over, and let the other side cook until lightly browned.

Hope you enjoy your delicious tortilla de patata! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment